Meeting Notes 2023 07 18
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Meetings | Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)|
These are the notes from the The 732nd Meeting of Noisebridge.
FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST/SLACK/DISCORD Include: TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update: N/A
- Announcements: N/A
- Finances: N/A
- New members: N/A
- New philanthropists: N/A
- Consensus Items: N/A
- Discussion Items: Locking the sewing room, new mural, no sanding inside. There was no dissent on any of the proposals
- Farley: web developer
- Andy: Lives nearby
- Max: I host woodshop safety training and woodhacking wednesday
- JD: Does laser training, woodshop safety, welding
- Lizzard: new to the space not to be confused with other lizzard
- Raven: new to SF coming to see about membership. Really interested in sewing. not so sure about the computer stuff
- Sergio: new member here. Likes working in the woodshop, doing prototypes to connect musical instruments market. Develop much more fun
- Guy: Part of the 3D printing guild. Maintains and gives classes once a month
- Trayden: Here for the summer with a group of people from the school. Second time visiting. Mainly in woodwork, software cad
- Danielle: Residency, bionformatics master & web dev. Interested to play more with electronics
- Ida: also part of residency program, building some stuff w/ software hardware modeling. Interested in learning more about sewing and just about everything here. Interested in membership
- Aidan: Hosting microelectronics design for wearables
- Alice: studying human augmentation and storytelling, xtended reality
- TJ: My interest is AI and robotics. AI group meets wednesday, robotics thursdays
- Christopher: HS teacher for 5 years, recently moved here, now works as a SWE
- Mike: Big code guy, likes TypeScript
- Emeline: Noisebridge Treasurer, maintainer of Textile room upstairs
- Loren: 5MOF this Thursday lightning talks!
- Contact page is linked to our discord server, which is the best way to stay in touch
Short announcements and events
- Farley: Brian is hosting a sketching class, also Ari is starting a Design meetup Mondays at 7PM. Graphical design stuff. Unity, Unreal, Houdini
- TJ: The goal is to build a graphical modeling engine with an AI game archicture.
- TJ: The AI group is doing lightning round talks this Wednesday evening
What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!
Anti-Harassment Policy & Community Standards of Excellence
Noisebridge has an Anti-Harassment Policy https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Anti-Harassment_Policy
- JD: Guilds are a group of people interested in a particular aspect of what's going on here. People who have the knowledge of how things operate so we can allow the people who are maintaining the space to keep an eye on it. Gives people a chance to actually make eye contact, let people get access to stuff without trying to figure something out on their own and destroy stuff
- Guy: That's why we started the 3D printing class. I've been doing the 3D printing classes for 4-5 months from now.
- JD: we should try and keep an essential part locked up if we can
- Max: how easy are they to maintain
- Guy: you can order parts when needed. I've had one for months and it has been working.
- Emeline: As far as guilds are going, one of the things I want to discuss today is that we keep having equipment stolen/broken from the sewing room. So before we get any new machines we need to get better at protecting those machines. This is a discussion item. Key to the sewing room.
New Members/Associate Members
- Mark: we try to maintain as flat a hierarchy as possible here and no one needs to become a member
- No one has a complete application
- Andy and some others will be seeking sponsorship
Financial Report (first Tuesday of month only)
- Monthly revenue, expenses. Big projects. Big fundraising events. Reserves in bank.
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.
- Bambu printer
- noise wall for woodshop, and electrical outlets need spending, but not immediate
Big C Consensus Items
Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items
Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.
Discussion Item 1
protecting the sewing room
- Emeline: We've lost at least $1000 in the last month from hacks, damage, theft, etc. I'm proposing right now to have a room lock to match the member key. Having the main space open, but having the sewing room closed when not supervised to prevent theft and damage
- JD: I'm gonna have to buy a new lock because it's the wrong kind of key. I'm telling you it will be about $50. I'll get it and let you know how much it is.
- Farley: Does anyone want to respond to this discussion?
- Mark: It's probably a good idea to somehow... We need to find some sort of culture touchpoint for people who want to deal with getting into the sewing room. For example if I am around, how do I protect against people Bullsh*** me to get into the sewing room.
- Emeline: That's hasn't really been the case. People are usually honest about having been to the training. I think it functions just like the main door where you let in people you trust. I'm just trying to limit the damages and losses for now. That's how I think about it
- Mark: That's fine
- Max: Should we also lock up the 3D printer room?
- Guy: I don't think it's a problem at the moment, but it might be when we get the new printer
- Emeline: I think that room would also benefit from locks
- Farley: sounds like we have a plan with the sewing room and we will act when we need to for the 3D printing room
Discussion Item 2
Proposal: no sanding inside (esp. power-sanding). brought by Loren, at Ken's suggestion. Reasoning: the largest source of dust and poor air quality inside. Action item: put up signs in space, add to wiki: "try planing instead of sanding, sand outside—mindful of airflow" (also poorer surface finishes)
- Loren: I do want comment from woodshop people
- JD: I would add close rollup door
- Max: I have no problem with it
- JD: We should also make sure there is an extension cord.
- JD: We can connect that to port
- Max: No sanding inside without dust collection?
- Others: no dissent
Discussion Item 3
to ask this local artist to paint us a mural https://www.flickr.com/photos/197440590@N07/albums/72177720305269750 > I asked him for a draft, he suggested a mural with a predominance of red and black (to go with our logo) and flowers shapes inspired by the sf dahlias. he'd also take care of repainting if someone painted over it > our front gate was tagged yesterday, and we got a 1000 dollars donation in the mail for a mural - would like to suggest to ask this local artist to paint us a mural
- Loren: This mural artist has a bunch of vases around mission. Emeline propose we do something like this with Noisebridge colors with an SF flower.
- Farley: You know how much this was for
- Loren: The donation was for $1000 with the purpose of adding a mural
- Farley: Sounds done to me unless anyone else really wants to talk about this
- Loren: semi related, could someone take the time to paint over the tagging out front.
- Farley: that can be a part of the do-ocratic task force
- Mark: Does this artist have a specific place they want to do it?
- Loren: That is something we can decide.
- Mark: I think we need the word Noisebridge prominently displayed somewhere
- Loren: Laser cutter is useful for making some spray paint templates
Do-ocratic Task Board
Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!
- paint over the tagging on front gate
- how are people doing with the door code access? Anyone having issues with keying in?
- what's going on with the member list
- TJ gathered a list of people, which is on Slack in the-board channel. I can make it more formal once we get into the board elections which I set for August 1st.