Meeting Notes 2023 09 26

From Noisebridge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
Meetings | Process Meeting Template | Discussion Meeting Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)

These are the notes from the The 741th Meeting of Noisebridge.

Date: 2023_09_26

Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: TJ

Moderators: Mark

Meeting Summary[edit]

TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Announcements:

Google community space open house October 4-5 from 3-6 PM MAKERFAIRE and NB15 Halloween PARTY NEED HELPERS! See relevant channels in discord!

  • Finances: NEXT WEEK
  • New members: NONE
  • New associates: NONE
  • Consensus Items: NONE
  • Discussion Items: Writer's workshop location change


  • Ask people to share their name, access needs, and preferred gender pronouns what they do at noisebridge
  • Mark - moderator, games and organization
  • TJ - he/him - Robotics / AI
  • Collin - Drawer organizers made via Lazer Cutter
  • Kelsey - she/her - transit hacking every other Wednesday
  • Fromsa - don't specialie, but I do use the sewing room a lot!
  • Zhenia - interface design
  • JD - I make a lot of stuff! Teach lazer cutter and all kinds of tools!
  • Farley - host freecodecamp, Saturdays at 2pm!
  • Darin - UX designer, use woodshop a lot
  • Ken - do make stuff, here to make an announcement
  • Loren - help with #rack things, Meetups/Infra on Mondays.
  • Cloud - 5mofs: H Indexes, Persuasive Design, and "How to Get Lucky Scientifically"
  • Jaybird - Normally at Sudo Room, but have been to Noisebridge for a long time. Thought I'd come in and say hi.

Short announcements and events[edit]

Ken - asked for second week in the row, writers workshop has been growing past sewing room (what do? Split or what?)

They can go downstairs

Or group can split into separate rooms

(JD is talking with Judi)

TJ: Google runs a community space that is available to local nonprofits for event hosting but also co-working. October 4-5 from 3-6 PM

Mark: Maker Faire is coming up SOON, need helpers (help with booth) 1st weekend is October 13-15 (2 weekend event this year, we're scheduled for first weekend)

  1. maker-faire-2023 channel on Disord

Maker Faire is a festival of creativity. People come from all over to share interesting things they have made (personal stuff). Fancy interactive electronics/arts/robuts. We've built several things


  • What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")

Mark; Guilds are subgroups of people who want to maintain a community around a space. I maintain the games guild.

Does anyone here have a guild announcement?

Kelsey: How to become a guild?

Mark: Two people min, set of resources to maintain (can be events, not necessarily physical infrastructure)

Music guild could use maintainers, no one maintaining Adi volunteers

Please see Mark (Arity on discord) or message in #music guild channel in discord

Adi ; Could fix up and sell extra guitars

Loren: Infrastucture Guild: Discussion going in #rack channel on Slack. Need to move servers from IOCooperative, lot of core infrastrucutre dropping Nov 7

Mark: Interest in forming AV guild, dealing with AV infrastructure (some overlap with music space?)

TJ : Priority is consistent meeting setup

Mark : As a stopgap, ask me or Discord.


Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence!

(TJ proceeds to read the excellence page)

Mark: do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Mark: Things we specifically call out on the Excellence page (see above)

Anti-Harassment Policy & Community Standards of Excellence[edit]

Noisebridge has an Anti-Harassment Policy Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) More approachable & specific guidelines,

Brief Kudos[edit]

Recent examples of excellent behavior, say 3, unless the passion moves you.

Kelsey: Thanks to Ken for the phone booth, he has been working very dilligently and excellently on it!

TJ: Kudos to Loren and Dave, and Daniel and Rob for taking the time work on rebuilding our access system!

Collin: Kudos to max for helping withtrash cleanup and for Corey for attempting to take it all out!

Kudos to Ken for taking out the junk into the trunk ^Just take into dump Still room to bring more stuff to the junkyard

Collin: Happy to help load the truck.

New Members/Associate Members[edit]

What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.

Generally grants more liberal access to the space in exchange for added support of Noisebridge.

Associate Members take care of space, open/close in exchange for 24-hour access Members can vote on important decisions for big-C consensus, have more influence on the community.

If you want to apply, check the Membership section of the website (ask after meeting)

Financial Report (first Tuesday of month only)[edit]

Finance update will be next week.

Spending Needs[edit]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.

  • Vacuum for Noisebridge, we tossed out bad one
  • <$100 getting new deadbolt for the machine shop, set to front door key, as well as

padlock for the machining locker (will petty cash it)

Fundraising Update[edit]

Putting together party for halloween ish time Want to get some merch going!

Industrial sewing machine making food?

Next Sunday is the 15th anniversary of Noisebridge (Oct 1)

Ken: I propose a raffle? (commit to embrodery pieces?)

sewing guild!

Adi: Music? (Yes!)

Mark: I asked Frank to get music from Resident Electronic Music every month

Event : party on Saturday this Saturday and also night before Halloween.

See #nb15 (or rename to Spooky Noise)

Consensus Items [edit]



Discussion Item 1[edit]

the writing group wants to use the music room as well as the electronics room

Mark: Writers guild represented by Judi and Olga


   - Room works well, but we are growing too large
   - Upwards of 20 people in room
   - Do we have fire exits / maximum capacities?
   JD: Calculation based on square footage, fire exit in back
   - At 25 people in the room, we only get to 6-8 people
   - Consider adding splinter group to other room

Proposal: Writer's workshop can use the Music room. Nothing is going on there.

Mark: We want to clean up the music room for classes too.

Alternative : run meetup downstairs and cut off woodshop use for 2 hours, 7pm - 9pm

Olga: Don't like to be so big b.c. of format (suffers when over 20 people, since people read a lot)

Action Item: Writers' guild will meet to discuss whether two smaller vs. one big group, then propose to change to downstairs or music room.

Mark: Message us on Discord => #weekly-meeting-text any follow-ups

End of Meeting[edit]