Meeting Notes 2023 10 31
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Meetings | Process Meeting Template | Discussion Meeting Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)|
These are the notes from the The 746th Meeting of Noisebridge.
Note-takers: Loren, Mark
We talked about stuff. It was halloween!
- Pumpkin lord, pyconaut - like to take care of noisebridge & help host events
- Steve - cosplaying as self, 90s cyberpunk dude
- Tim - just passing by, bye y'all. hacking stuff, bio.
- Julian - here for first time
- Paul - on the periphery, runs the coworking meetup
- Loren - tom bombadil for tonight. Infra meetup on Mondays. Guy who runs something called OwnCast talked last night!
- Mark - do video game stuff, noisebridge's janitor
- Jwolt - moved here from Dallas, 3rd time here at NB
- Farley - hang out at noisebrdige a lot, used to host free code camp.
Short announcements and events
- Pyconaut - planning to restart NeurotechX meetup at NB within the next month. Possibly Wednesdays?
- Mark - Reminder: TSCoSM meets Saturday mornings
- TSCoSM (Totally Secret Cabal of Space Maintainers)
Sam (via Farley): TOOOL lockpicking group meetup happening Dec. 17th!
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other. (On first Tuesdays, seek a few definitions. Other Tuesday, give a 1-3 sentence summary.)
Noisebridge, as an anarchist hackerspace, tries to maintain minimal rules.
We have one official rule, a callback to Bill and Ted's excellent adventure, which is be excellent to each other.
Work well with others, assume they are acting in good faith.
What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!
Don't sleep here, don't nap here. It drives serious contributors away, because of the labor, the fight to maintain the norm.
Anti-Harassment Policy & Community Standards of Excellence
Noisebridge has an Anti-Harassment Policy https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Anti-Harassment_Policy Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX More approachable & specific guidelines, https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Community_Standards
Recent examples of excellent behavior, say 3, unless the passion moves you.
- Pyconaut - Kudos to the anonymous hackers who cleaned up the electronics room a bit! Its looking a hecka lot better than it was before!
- Mark: Kudos to wheezy and ra who had nice excellent discussions with me on discord about certain space issues
- Farley: kudos to John and Sam, working on fundraising stuff. Working on grant applications over the last 2 weeks.
- What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")
- Interest groups in the space, empowering and encouraging people to act. Ensure institutional continuity.
- Discussion in discord: #kiosk, #metaguild. How do we de-activate channels.
New Members/Associate Members
What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.
(will do on first of month, next week)
Financial Report (first Tuesday of month only)
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.
How's it all going
Big C Consensus Items
Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items
Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.
Discussion Item 1
From/Raised by: mark / farley Seeking decision/outcome/advice: advice On topic: guild discord channel cycling
See discussion in #metaguild
Steve: I don't see this much, but it seems like like Slack is less popular than Discord?
(Slack is less accessible than Discord, certainly)
'Steve: Could we deprecate Slack unless some particular people we care about are adamantly against it?
Pyconaut - I agree about slack being less accessible. I think discord and Discuss are the two buggest things ppl generally access. And we bring back slack just for particulars with the board and Big M Members. I had to be on like 6 different platforms to communicate w/ volunteers for makerfaire?
Mark: did you ask them to communicate in one central place and they objected, or...?
Pyconaut: Kind of, yeah. But that's an event thing anyway, which could be discussed separately. For general space/community usage, I think their is less a chance of discord going completely bonkers than discord. Hopefully neither do. We have a special Slack account that's worth holding onto. Still, we don't have to use it for everything. Discord has a lot of more beneficial communication features.
On the subject of guilds: what i'm used to in a lot of discords is an "archived" section. Inactive stuff gets moved there, re-activated stuff gets moved back.
Farley: maybe discord admins should be doing a bunch of actions (like archiving etc) without trying so hard to consult the community so much, like the community should trust them to do a good job.
Steve consider the fact that its not really a solved problem. It may be more beauracracy and hard work than anybody really wants to/ should do? Something something, maybe there isn't really a problem to be solved.
Pyconaut - write a bot that archives a channel after 30 days of inactivity.
Mark - i'll look into it.
Discussion Item 2
From/Raised by: Pyconaut Seeking decision/outcome/advice: info-dump On topic: post-makerfaire discussion
NB was at makerfaire for 2 weekends. It went well. Lots of people came by and said hi, people from all over the world.
We ran out of bizz cards, flyers, postcards, stickers. We need to order more of all of these! Gonna be a few hundred dollars at least!
Should set up a little box of equipment for outside of nb events! Some PI's maybe, some big posters explaining NB things, lots of dang QR codes, 1 or 2 more detailed booklets.
Had quite a few ppl volunteer. Would've been more excellent if more people couldve been available for longer times while at event. Mostly on me for being really relaxed etc..
Gonna do OpenSauce and Makerfaire again next year. Lets build more interactive projects! We didn't get our dang blue ribbon this year!