Meeting Notes 2024 01 02

From Noisebridge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
Meetings | Process Meeting Template | Discussion Meeting Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)


These are the notes from the The 754th Meeting of Noisebridge.

Date: 2024_01_02


Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: Mark Moderators: Loren

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST/SLACK/DISCORD Include: TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update:
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New associates:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Introductions[edit]

  • Loren - been hosting infrastructure mondays, help w/ finances and meetings
  • Selim - helping with SHED project
  • Daniel - also doing SHED project, put it into handoff place. Olympus now
  • Mike - Mike
  • Roxanne - come here before a few times informally. Might start a philosophy reading group. Also like indie games, sewing. (Willing to discuss freewill after the meeting)
  • Joe - drawing
  • Quinn - going to host autonomous flying car meetup on Sundays w/ wine and cheese!
  • Mark - various things for noisebridge. also like indie games
  • Farley - do stuff sometimes at NB
  • Collin - use the laser cutter sometimes
  • JD - laser cutter stuff too

Short announcements and events[edit]

  • Philosophy meetup - possibly. #philosophy channel in discord.
  • Global Game Jam - happening at the end of this month. ("it's already January") - hosted here. NB would be a site for it. 3 day game building. Jan 22nd (Mon) - 28th (Sun).
  • may, on Valentine's Day, host Karl's Angels (Quinn). karlsangels.com people representing SF community - nominated by 2 people. Get heatshots, costume, Quinn will make something for you to wear if you want.


Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other. (On first Tuesdays, seek a few definitions. Other Tuesday, give a 1-3 sentence summary.)

What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!

Anti-Harassment Policy & Community Standards of Excellence[edit]

Noisebridge has an Anti-Harassment Policy https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Anti-Harassment_Policy Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX More approachable & specific guidelines, https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Community_Standards https://safespace.noisebridge.net/ is one way to quickly raise issues which will be seen by people in Slack.

Brief Kudos[edit]

Recent examples of excellent behavior, say 3, unless the passion moves you.

  • Quinn and team for setting up the new years party and fun art installation.
  • (People being generally excellent around the space)
  • Sam.
  • Kudos to most recent cleaner of the kitchen since new years
  • Kudos to electronics room & upstairs effort.
  • Kudos to Ellen - cleaning sewing room
  • Kudos to Ken - keeping space clean, esp re: sewing

Guilds[edit]

  • What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")
  • Sewing guild - reviving some activity. Sewing class & knitting class coming. Regularly. Ellen - sewing 101. Maria - knitting 101.

New Members/Associate Members[edit]

What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.

(Noisebridge is avaialble when members open the space. Most days, most evenings, it is open.)

  • Members - get 24 hour access to the space. Consensus - can block.
  • Associate member - get 24 hour access.


  • Quinn - applying for associate membership. Sponsor: Loren (will show procedures) (Sam also offered to sponsor on form). Approved.
    • Mark: Should you get your 24 hour access, what would you like to do with it?
      • Keep the space clean. Use sewing and electronics room. Intimidated by music room. Flying car meetup. Declutttering. Want to continue the improvements in the space, cleanliness, I've seen in the last few months.
    • If the community decides to limit all hours access in the future, would that be a concern? No.
  • Roxanne - interested
  • Benjamin - sponsor: Mark. Approved.
    • With 24 hour access, what would you like to do? Support music room open as studio space in evenings
    • If NB limits hours to daytime hours, is that a concern - less interested in contributing? Yes - do care about long hours access.


Financial Report (first Tuesday of month only)[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

$7992 in total December donations. Good turnout from Benevity - don't forget to sign up with your employer if you can! Venmo dried up a bit.

+ $5k from Bob!

$11,054 in operating expensese + 1200 in other expenses

We're 700 in the green in Dec 2023!

  • Monthly revenue, expenses. Big projects. Big fundraising events. Reserves in bank.
  • Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
  • The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances

Spending Needs[edit]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.

use https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Wishlist

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

  • Banjamin: Location in Berkeley/Oakland - "Oakland Secret" would be fun to do an event. $50 for hosting an event. Looking for volunteers to make it happen. "Touch of Soul" collective bandname. 8 people, who come an jam. Demir in discord, is in band.
  • Daniel - want to make coffee, espresso machine. Perhpas join with Donuts on Saturday, work.
    • Quinn. Shi-Zen sushi. Buut want to build a nice shed thing.
  • Eagle (wiki user: Seraphim) - question about sources of recurring donations.

Big C Consensus Items[edit]

Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if new people are present. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

Consensus Items [edit]

Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.

Discussion Items[edit]

Template... [num]: [topic-short][edit]

From/Raised by: Seeking: decision/outcome/advice/[?] On topic:

(discussion item) 1: downstairs, ordering of[edit]

From/Raised by: Selim Seeking: initial discussion, mutual understanding and thinking about solutions On topic:

When we cleaned this (electronics) room, it has become much more appealing of a place to come and work. Still room for improvement, but lots of good vibes to start.

We should strive to make the downstairs area similar. Make it possible for people to be more productive down there. Fix up the floors, re-arrange stuff, maximize space usage efficiency, etc...

Proposal 1: I think we should wax the downstairs floor.

Proposal 2: Improved Lighting setup

Mike: Do we have a to-do list for all this stuff?

Loren: Not particularly. Could be a big project that we could create one for, close down the space temporarily to get it done, etc. etc.

Selim: But we should just raise awareness, and not assume it will all get done overnight. Should focus on making sure we do continuous improvements over time.

Mark: What does a facilities/special projects team look like for noisebridge? Is it contracted professionals? Is it like our current volunteer cleaning crew?

Selim: Maybe we could do some kind of pilot program in some small microcosm of the space?

Ben: Guilds system should work well to accomodate and facilitate this.

JD: For things like stage lighting and sound systems, etc.. can't expect that stuff to always be the same after you set it up. Someone will always come by, assume it is set up wrong. We need a more well-signgaged "push here dummy" (PHD) type of system.

Selim: I agree with that. Just trying to convey that we definitely need more structure towards maintaining the facilities. I understand do-ocracy, but it can limit productivity.

Quinn: I'd like to do a map of the space.

Mark: Would love to have. A place to look at everyone's ideas in parallel.

Loren: have 2 projects I want to do for this kind of open coordination. ("wind tunneling", and pol.is).

Please follow-up in #weekly-meeting in Discord, with follow up.

Loren/Mark will assist with creating Wiki entries/ Guild stuff.


(discussion item) 2: event blurb[edit]

From/Raised by:jd Seeking: decision/outcome/advice/[?] help On topic: composing a handout for event organizers covering responsibilities including behavior of attendees r.e. Sexual harassment

(Conflict resolution group - tomorrow nights. In Discord events, not yet Wiki events).

Daniel: let's lock down rooms? check guest lists for event.

Ben: Would be cool with that kind of rule for late night stuff also. I also think if you have better lighting situations, people are general feeling.

Mark: (to this, and the whole thing). Strongly, We can do - for organized events. We're not accounting for unplanned, unorganized parties which happen.

There were a ton of people here for party.

Mike: cameras? people don't like it. But what about as long as one room doesn't have cameras? (people lol)

Loren: Want to suggest that we somehow support event organizers more directly in this endeavor. Ways to support private communication directly to them.

Benjamin: lights!

Mark & Loren: lights do not seem like they've been enough.

JD: You guys kind of got around to it. Important thing is making sure community is aware of these kinds of things happening.

How do we raise awareness? How do we hand that out in in a blurb.

Mike: Why not isolate all parties downstairs.

JD: It doesn't fix this. The most recent incident happened in bright light, downstairs, with a group of multiple people.

Camera - on patio. supported by community. Farley suggest many in the community disagree. Need more research on the consensus. JD: and let poeple know its there. Red light. Real tradition of not recording in the space.

Quinn - Generally good idea to make it more obvious how against harassment we are.

Will discuss on Wed 7pm, Council on Conflict Resolution - feel free to join in person or via Discord voice channel

(discussion item) 3: eventbrite (have?) - meetup (upgrade? 50->120, for sub-groups)[edit]

From/Raised by: quinn / loren Seeking: decision/outcome/advice/[?] decision (or advice) On topic:

  • eventbrite
  • meetup - separate sub-groups.

might upgrade when there's a clearer case for it. other subgroups, other accounts.


(discussion item) 4: global game jam - support[edit]

From/Raised by: mark Seeking: decision/outcome/advice/[?] - brief the community. On topic:

Game jam promotes spaces. Mark really wants game jam to happen starts Mon 22nd aends Sunday 28th of January. There are multiple meetings required to host this event. Can anyone help Mark, he needs help. What can we expect as far as tasks to help? Its like busy work -Mark. Mini powow tonight to talk about the event requirements.


Do-ocratic Task Board[edit]

Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!

  • Discuss more, share access to Trello & GH with #meeting-notes in Discord


  • Update in-person board at meeting time.


End of Meeting[edit]