Meeting notes 2018 03 06
These are the notes from the The 1001st Meeting of Noisebridge. Date: 2018-03-06 Note-taker: Keivn; Moderators: Augur.
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
- 1 Meeting Summary
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Short announcements and events
- 4 Safe Space
- 5 Participation
- 6 Philanthropists
- 7 Membership Binder
- 8 Financial Report
- 9 Consensus
- 10 Discussion
- 11 End of Meeting
What happened at the meeting:
- 2018 Maker Faire project
- electronics swap
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items:
- &NBSP; Consensus Proposal **consensed**
- Noisebridge anti-harrasment policy update **consensed**
- Discussion Items:
- Kickstart @ Noisebridge
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to explain what Noisebridge is about:
Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Introduce any experimental or unusual moderation techniques that may be using during the meeting like: direct responses, limited speaking time, orderless stack, &c.
- Round of introductions (remember, announcements come later):
- What's your name?
- What's your preferred pronoun?
- What do you do?
- What do you maintain at Noisebridge?
- if you are new: how did you hear about Noisebridge?
Short announcements and events
- We're doing Maker Faire again this year. Under the bannar of the Noisebridge Gaming Archivist, building an arcade cabinit that live streams. Meets every Friday to coordinate at 20:00. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/NGALAC content at Maker Faire is needed. VR Noisebridge will be there. Volunteers are needed! Maker Faire happens on May 18-20, setup on the 17th. Plan a 5MoF on the Thursday before Maker Faire weekend.
- Skittels. bond.backerkit.com conference this weekend.
- Saturday morning is electronics swap at De Anza College
Noisebridge is a safe space. Invite a volunteer to describe what that means.
Some specific points you might prompt the group to touch on, if it doesn't happen naturally:
- What to do if you feel uncomfortable.
- Noisebridge strives to be radically inclusive. What does that mean?
- Noisebridge has an antiharassment policy. What does that mean?
Invite a knowledgable volunteer to describe who can participate at Noisebridge, including:
- Describe how to get an rfid key for the door system
- Describe how to get access to slack
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe Philantropy, and the application process.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Any applicants must have their sponsor present to vouch for them.
- If there are no objections, they're a philanthropist! Their pledge should be handed over to the Secretary posthaste, after which their token will be updated to give them the 24/7 access they've earned(?)
- X becomes a philantropist!!
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe membership, and the application process.
Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community and space better than it is today.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Mark down a check or other indicator on every open application to keep track of how many weeks they've been read out.
- Anyone eligible to join this week should
- introduce themselves,
- answer any questions members may have for them, then
- leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime, or cookies) for the rest of the group.
- The rest of the meeting should reach consensus on whether they may join.
- Remember to applaud new members when they return.
- Lizzy week 2 membership binder read out loud
- $66,835.74 in the general fund, which is over 10 months of critical expenses. (SEE NOISETOR NOTE)
- $16,270.66 for Noisetor (SEE NOISETOR NOTE)
- $3,825.70 in the equipment fund
- $764.82 in the broadcast fund
- $2,137.28 in the laser maintenance fund
- $200 in the Accessibility Fund
- $179.77 in the Elevator Repair Fund
- $232 in the Sewing Fund
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
- invite a knowledgeable volunteer to give a brief primer on consensus process
- It is important that everyone in attendance understands at least:
- Blocking with verbalized principled objections.
- Why we use consensus over other approaches to decision making.
- How consensus isn't a legislative process
- Why consensus isn't applicable to some things like conflict resolution, resolution of time sinks, and the like.
(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)
&NBSP; Consensus Proposal
- Discuss is a widely published list, should we publish a remote meeting link on discuss?
- Sounds fine, limited risk of the offer getting sniped.
- No major edits in last week.
- It is hear-by right and excellent to declare this to be the consensus of Noisebridge
Noisebridge anti-harrasment policy update
- 'However' changed to 'In addition' to fit better with the above paragraph
- Concerns articulated about the last paragraph about the Anti-Harrassment policy -- not exclusivly Members that can enforce the policy. Any particiapant can enforce.
- The above concern should be slotted into a seperate proposal
- Member to Guest
- What was the original intent of the proposal? Is this a major revision? Yes, perhaps major, even though we remember the original intent of the proposal to be in line with the notion that anyone can enforce the policy.
- It is hear-by right and excellent to declare this to be the consensus of Noisebridge
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
Longer discussion items belong here. This is the last part of the meeting so that people can break off and continue their discussion afterwards.
Kickstarter @ Noisebridge
- Kickstarter thorws a party around Maker Faire. How does Noisebridge feel about hosting the party? 60-100 people, only makers going to Maker Faire who are on Kickstarter. Thinking the Thursday before Maker Faire.
- Would this work with 5MoF?
- Might work well. Start party in advance of 5MoF, beers and chatting, transition into 5MoF from 20:00-21:00, and then back into party afterward.
- Kickstarter will get back to us next week.
- Kickstarter has a rental budget that they would donate to Noisebridge for use of the space.
If any important discussion happens, it should be happening after forward progress is made during consensus.
As open as possible -- mod hours from 11:00-22:00 to 10:00-23:00
- Socializing the change
- Token only access
- Space is somewhat sparsly populated around 10-11ish
- Opening access will encourage greater utilization of the space
- Will there be usually members or philanthropists present?
- Object to this principle. NB should not depend on Ms & Ps to keep the space. Should be a broad as possible and dynamic to thoes facilitating access to the space. We're here for the community, we should encourage and enable participation.
- Gentle movement in the right direction
- Many folks alreay have the misunderstanding that we're open 10-23:00
- This is my 3rd/4th time here. I don't have a token. I feel it's really open. I don't see any problems.
- We're not done until we're open 24/7. No expection when we get there, but the direction we want to work towards. err on the side of open.
- There are often people here much later than 22:00
- Is consensus needed?
- This was all done under the banner of a previous consensus that "Noisebridge ought to be as open as possible" therefore someone should just file a PR w/ Henner
- Do we have the support of the people working here in the mornings? We should consult the early morning contingent on this change?
- Could roll this out in beta-mode by not messaging initially, just change the range on the token grant.
- Rarely anyone here before 11a
End of Meeting
- Return the membership binder to its rightful location.
- Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker, robot, or robothacker.
Fun things to do after
- Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
- PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Jarod doesn't drink anymore, X retracts offer to consume many beers