https://pad.riseup.net/p/nb-infra-meetup Welcome to nb infra meetup! Join the noisebridge discord, link on noisebridge.net homepage. We're in #meetup-infra channel. Request an account on the wiki, at noisebridge.net. Ping me (@mcint) in #meetup-infra when you request an account.
- meetup - infra
- introductions: name, background, goals & interests
- shared session today
(post in discord) (post to wiki)
- loren - meetup. want to share experience, see new problems.
- doug - bg. eng, ads, data & analytics, 9yrs. want tot build a solar powered gpu data center. infra building. more linux familiarity. have 3TB on AWS, $300-400 every time we sing
- relay: `doas` trust.
- jacob - just graduated in CS. Specialized in web dev, looking for job. Want to learn about scaling, and general
- relay - trying to host own server. lots of trouble to host own projects. want to start own projects. get https hosting working on alpine.
- farley - web dev, learning more linux stuff, goals: know enough linux stuff to run on own machine, fix problems. normal backend stuff. nginx reverse proxy. the more I learn, the harder it is to learn.
- Eli - Software engineer for a long time. set up an infra server subnet sshkey and dev ops back in my engineering days because the people here are cool!
- Ben - 10 years, IBM cobol programming. Supporting learning projects overseas.
- musl vs glibc - system librires - gcc, cpp, nvidia issues. -
be very careful
good habits to learn. check the man page check the -h
talking to people you can learn from others mistakes.
Social networks to use for help
IRC Internet Relay Chat
How to ask good questions:
https://xyproblem.info/ http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/a/154678/166202 https://alexfornuto.com/how-to-ask-for-help-on-irc/
Check out the Decal labs, quiz yourself, test yourself. The slides have some interesting history as well. Take the labs as far as you can.
Farley issues - - startup scripts debugging, journalctl - networking, learning the concepts: https://beej.us/guide/bgnet0/
reading, from session 1: sys admin - https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/ https://debian-handbook.info/ lambdalabs - https://lambdalabs.com/lambda-stack-deep-learning-software in the beginning was the command line - https://archive.org/details/inbeginningwasco00step / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Beginning..._Was_the_Command_Line / https://www.nealstephenson.com/in-the-beginning-was-the-command-line.html glitching - https://venam.nixers.net/blog/programming/2020/10/05/corruption-at-the-core.html irc / wiki -
agenda next week - disect a project. how to think about this. impl details. very simple. (DASH project) (ubuntu).
happy to call in Discord, and take notes. farley - irc. discord -