New space meeting 2018 03 27

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search


   The Noisebridge Space Program will meet today at 7pm. Please join to help find the future home of Noisebridge! Agenda items include:                                                      
                                                                                                                                                                                             
   * Working group updates                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                                             
       * Spacewalkers - see spacewalks channel on slack                                                                                                                                      
       * A spreadsheet of spaces exists https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JtjEvI6LkT0ZI19SI5S3mWnn4aZ4JBEgkjyzzF5YI4o/edit#gid=0                                                       
       * A slack channel exists                                                                                                                                                              
       * Looking for a space for lease within our budget, size, location and accessibility constraints                                                                                       
       * Is there a short list?                                                                                                                                                              
           * No, one of our goals is for a larger group of people to participate in spacewalks to build consensus around new spaces.                                                         
           * mister_name has been very busy over the last week, will be making calls and arranging space walks in the next couple days                                                       
       * What's the current favorite space?                                                                                                                                                  
           * 1144 Howard Street. Industrial warehouse. Not much to look at on the inside. 9,000 sqft @ $15,000/month                                                                         
           * 132 Missouri Street. 6,000 sqft @ $8,000/month                                                                                                                                  
           * 351 9th Street. Broker not returning our calls. We're interested in seeing it.                                                                                                  
       * John and Victoria are working with Allen B. from bookstore. Possible to get in touch with a broker through AB.                                                                      
       * Should we have a tenat broker or not?                                                                                                                                               
           * Let's carry out this discussion on-line.                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                                                             
       * Corporate (Let's go to Google/Apple/other big companies)                                                                                                                            
           * Silver                                                                                                                                                                          
           * Not present at meeting.                                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                                                                             
       * Grants team                                                                                                                                                                         
           * Jarrod and Asya accepting applications for members of the grants team                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                                             
       * Simbridge (Noisebridge standalone VR game)                                                                                                                                          
           * Not present.                                                                                                                                                                    
           * Could be a fundraising mechanism. Support needed to build out the VR NB experience.                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                             
       * NGALAC (Live streaming Arcade Cabinet group)                                                                                                                                        
           * Could be a fundraising mechanism.                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                             
       * Media (videography/photography/copy/messaging group)                                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                                                                                             
   * Scandiuzzi Krebs fundraising engagement                                                                                                                                                 
       * Mitch hunted down Krebs who does non-profit fundraising. S|K has trackrecord of working with non-profits. e.x. theater company in Seattle.                                          
       * Mitch has been building momentum around employing people to help with fundraising.                                                                                                  
       * We pay S|K $4,000 for discovery. They come in, get to know the space, build doc that outlines the fundraising plan (deliverable). Up to NB to continue to pay S|K to apply execute the plan for us.                                                                                                                                                                               
       * S|K estimates that for an 8 month engagement our cost would be $33,000 and estimated money raised in the ~$100,000's                                                                
       * Timing is very close. $10,000 spent now on S|K would be $10k less we have to move. S|K estimates grant money to start coming in ~6 months                                           
       * Do we have a timeframe on when the funds come in?                                                                                                                                   
           * Build discovery document.                                                                                                                                                       
           * Used to working with orgs of all size. Smaller and larger than NB.                                                                                                              
           * Confident that S|K could support NB as a client                                                                                                                                 
       * Where will the mysterious money come from? Grants from big companies? Individuals?                                                                                                  
           * All of the above. Individual contributors at $1,000+ to form a "leadership circle"(?)                                                                                           
           * Grants of ~$10-20k
           * Federal funding                                                                                                                                                                 
       * Why do you want us to do this?                                                                                                                                                      
           * Given our current trajectory we're never going to raise the money on our own.                                                                                                   
           * Our income rate is based on what we get now. If we're able to get enough money to afford more $$$/sqft then we don't have to compromise.                                        
           * We have a good amount. ~$100k in the bank. Need to get more serious, need big guns, if we're going to double the amount of money we bring in per month.                         
       * Is S|K a big gun?                                                                                                                                                                   
           * They have more experience than we do                                                                                                                                            
       * Engage for fundingraise or only for the plan?                                                                                                                                       
           * I think it's a good idea, but our timeline is real.                                                                                                                             
           * We can raise the funds on our own, through individual contributions. I don't think we're getting hands-off fundraising from S|K, but rather coaching for us to drive the process. Do we have the volunteer hours and committment to pull that off? Perhaps we'd get educated enough to motivate us.                                                                           
           * If we have someone with a clear plan, "hey, you need to write these 6 letters", the fundraising process would be accessible to more people.                                     
       * Would it be unethical to tie money out to S|K to funds in?                                                                                                                          
           * Agaist the ethics of professional fundraising                                                                                                                                   
       * Do we want to do this?                                                                                                                                                              
           * I believe it's essential that we get outside help, but timing is tight                                                                                                          
           * S|K is flexible                                                                                                                                                                 
           * Can we raise extra funds specifically to hire S|K?                                                                                                                              
       * I like the idea of getting us a plan for the broader community to read/look at                                                                                                      
       * We did lots of fundraising for reboot. What went into that?                                                                                                                         
           * Reboot was a one-time influx of a large purse, this is a different sort of thing. We need to become an org that's capable of mobilizing a lot of funds in perpituity.           
           * We have some people willing to write grants in the community, but we don't really know what we're doing.                                                                        
           * How do we get an increasing amount of capial over time? NP, as it is, would benefit from the coaching.                                                                          
       * What's the discovery meeting like?                                                                                                                                                  
       * I have reservations on cost w/o guarentees of return. Maybe we should do the discovery and find out.                                                                                
       * What's the process for agreeing to spend the initial $4k?                                                                                                                           
           * Through consensus                                                                                                                                                               
       * In either case, the $4k doesn't really matter. If we succeed at fundraising we're in the money, if not we're out of here.                                                           
       * Have we done due dilligence? Do we know how S|K compares to other similar orgs?                                                                                                     
           * No doacratic due dilligence at present                                                                                                                                          
           * There are resources online we can leverage to educate ourselves. Foundation Center has a webcast on how to do grant writing. Augur will organize a night to watch the webcast at NB.                                                                                                                                                                                          
       * Lady Red will create a consensus proposal to spend the $4k                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                                                                                                             
   * Partnerships update                                                                                                                                                                     
       * MEDA follow-up                                                                                                                                                                      
           * Talking to MEDA about zoning issue with the city. Working with us to resolve.                                                                                                   
           * MEDA likes NB and wants to help. Part of helping might be finding a space or helping us negotiate with our current/future landlord. They suggested other things we can do to help increase our visibility to the city/larger community. Connected NB w/ local community org focused on education, Mission Techies - trains kids how to use computers, etc.. We're working on some ideas                                                                                                                                                                                     
       * Hillary Ronan visit                                                                                                                                                                 
           * Very excited by NB, willing to help us w/ building permit, space use and speaking w/ our current landlord                                                                       
       * NB isn't the only anarchist community in SF. Have we reached out to other like-minded communities? Does anyone know anyone to help reach out?                                       
       * MAKE SF - no update                                                                                                                                                                 
       * Other orgs to reach out to may include:                                                                                                                                             
           * Longnow                                                                                                                                                                         
           * Internet Archive                                                                                                                                                                
           * EFF                                                                                                                                                                             
           * ACLU NorCal
       * Have connections to people w/ money, experience fundraising, etc.                                                                                                                   
       * NB whiskey, NB Kambucha, noisecoin, etc. for $5,000 per flask                                                                                                                       
       * NB auction                                                                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                                                                                                             
   * Cotenant update                                                                                                                                                                         
       * Partnering w/ another local, like-minded org to share space. Gives access to larger spaces on the market that NB could not afford on our own.                                       
       * Make more connections to attract orgs to share space.                                                                                                                               
       * Landlords often want a single master tenant                                                                                                                                         
       * Could also do co-tenacy w/ other art, indoor skate park, etc. orgs                                                                                                                  
       * Do we have a list                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                                             
   * Could use a working group for partnerships and co-tenant effort                                                                                                                         
   * Is there a consolidated fundraising working group?                                                                                                                                      
   * We are repeating ourselves as a result of lack of centeralized documentation.                                                                                                           
       * Can we aggregate docs on the wiki?                                                                                                                                                  
   * We have talked to Danny @ EFF - he wants to help, but needs direction                                                                                                                   
       * MC big events                                                                                                                                                                       
       * Write an email campagine                                                                                                                                                            
   * Any other people we can tap for support?                                                                                                                                                
       * Naomi                                                                                                                                                                               
   * What's our target goal for fundraising?                                                                                                                                                 
       * $15k/month for a lease                                                                                                                                                              
           * Drive people to Patreon page                                                                                                                                                    
           * Drive people to donate.noisebridge.net                                                                                                                                          
               * Make the donate page cooler. There are some confusing UEX around weird edgecases. Lower card processing fees here. Not clear how to end a subscription or if a subscription is currently going.                                                                                                                                                                           
               * Written in Rails, maintained by Patrick, could use a maintence support. Rewrite/fix in/with Haskell?                                                                        
           * What are methods that are successful to drive people here?                                                                                                                      
               * Classes                                                                                                                                                                     
               * NGALAC                                                                                                                                                                      
               * Simbridge                                                                                                                                                                   
               * Makerfaire                                                                                                                                                                  
               * Tinkerfest                                                                                                                                                                  
           * Who at Noisebridge can bottomline raising revenue?                                                                                                                              
               * Can independent folks bottom line independent fundraising mechanisms above                                                                                                  
       * How much for a down payment?                                                                                                                                                        
           * Tiered goals. $100k additional money to start.                                                                                                                                  
           * Rent party approach to raise a nice purse                                                                                                                                       
   * At what point do we engage high-profile supporters? E.x. Cory Doctorow.                                                                                                                 
       * John Perry Barlow Symposium, show up at Internet Archive in NB shirts and shmooz with supporters. Saturday, April 7th 8pm                                                           
   * Three, maybe four epics                                                                                                                                                                 
       * Find a new place to live - mister_name - Spacewalkers                                                                                                                               
       * Get a big chunk of money - Victoria - Very Large Money Bag Working Group                                                                                                            
       * Bump up the recurring revenue - Naomi - Make it Raining Working Group - Other names discussed include: Many Small Money Bags Working Group? ATM Working Group? Trickle Down Economics Working Group? Fundraisers?                                                                                                                                                                 
       * Documentation - Kevin will seek out a bottomliner who can attend Tuesday meetings - Media Working Group (videography/photography/copy/messaging)                                    
   * Would be great to get a person bottomlining each of these epics.  
   * How do we give recognition? Show appreciation?                                                                                                                                          
       * Show up, help out, gives validation                                                                                                                                                 
       * Listening and matchmaking, creating intoductions that points back to the working being done                                                                                         
       * Big group projects is a great opportunity to meet new people, make new friends                                                                                                      
   * Action items?                                                                                                                                                                           
       * Spacewalkers - organize and conduct at least 2 spacewalks with report backs to the group                                                                                            
       * Make it Raining - learn how other people have been successful at Patreon. Ideas about information products (not physical stuff). Huge brainstorm about this on Slack. Make a wiki page.                                                                                                                                                                                           
       * Very Large Money Bag - Follow up weekly in advance of the Tuesday meeting. Find people, reach out, get in contact with names of people/orgs listed above. I will contact one person at minimum.