This page collects trip reports to view possible Noisebridge spaces.
- SettingUpViewings: Pointers on how to set up your own space viewing, with frequently asked landlord questions.
- QuestionsForTheSpace: This is a list of questions we may want to ask about any space we want to inhabit.
Places to look include craigslist and Bill pointed out starboardnet.com hcmcommercial.com, loopnet.com, and sfarmls.com. Also look in windows of buildings as you pass by and take down "for rent" numbers. When you see a place that looks interesting, add it to the list of "places to set up viewings" below. If you have a minute and can schedule some time out of your day, pick up a place from the list and call the landlord to set up a viewing.
Please take pictures of important assets such as: floor to ceiling distance, power circuit panel, MPOE or where phone/cable service enters, view from roof (from all possible angles), etc.
Here's a list in no particular order of the things we are looking for from a space. This describes an ideal space, not every space will be like this.
- 3000+ square feet
- 24-hour access (ideally our own secured entrance)
- No neighbor complaints for access, music work, or other noise
- Safe neighborhood (see murder map, for example)
- San Francisco
- Near public transportation
- reasonable power and ventilation
When writing up a report of a space you've viewed, please include a section with a quantification of the above desirable features, either as a "yes or no" or on a scale of 1 to 10, like so:
- Size: 8 (2000 square feet)
- Private Entance: No
- 24/7 Access: Yes
- Privacy / Sound Isolation: 6 (single neighboring space, used days, shares *thin* interior walls)
- Safety of Neighborhood: 8
- Shower: No
- Bathroom: Yes
- Kitchen: No
- In San Francisco: Yes
- Transit Availability: 6 (short bus ride from BART)
- Power: 10 (in a PG&E Substation!)
- Connectivity: 8
- Roof rights/line of sight to tall buildings: 7
17 January 2008:
We (Jake Appelbaum, Andy Isaacson, and David Molnar) went out to go look at an office space advertised on craigslist on Thursday that might be available for a permanent move-in soon. We actually ended up seeing two places. Here are some notes on the places plus pictures. These give some idea of what possible options are in addition to 40 Ringold. (Thanks again to Bill for letting us use 40 Ringold for meetings, etc. during this time!)
23 July 2008:
- Dimension 7 - 150 Folsom
29 July 2008:
- 880 Harrison @ 5th - 1803 sq. ft for ~$2500, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/off/773536200.html (http://www.project880.com/suite_301.html); Contact: Craig Lipton 415-923-0916
- 185 Clara @ 5th - 1732 sq. ft for $2250, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/off/773505313.html (http://www.project880.com/185clara.html)
25 September 2008:
- 83C Wiese @ 16th/Mission - 1000 sq. ft for ~$2000, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/off/853914124.html
- 2101 Mission -- 5200 sq feet, $3500/mo. "low" ceilings (8 feet)
- 1867 Mission, Friday 2009-06-05 13:00 -- adi spoke to Gary Barboro regarding the building. 3 floors, 11ksf / floor, owners "would like to develop housing" but it sounds like they're flexible. "Owners were thinking $2/sf including build-out, don't know if they would be willing to go down to $1" but he didn't hang up on me. They'd like to rent whole floors but probably can subdivide.
- 475 Valencia (at 16th). Has lots of history. A listing here says 5000 sq. feet and $6250.00 for the top (third) floor, $6750.00 for the second. That was in April, and they're both still empty, so that asking price may be way high.
- We will be viewing this space on Wednesday June 10 at 11am. Please meet at Noisebridge at 10:50am if you want to come with!
- 2017 Mission This place is awesome, take a look at it http://www.flickr.com/photos/milohholim/sets/72157619567460316/
Places to Set Up Viewings
This is a list of places where we may want to set up a viewing. Please add and update status as needed.
- Sutter St at near Union Sq.
Up to 10,000 RSF at extremely low price! Asking $1.00 per foot per month Two separate Full Floor suites of 5,000 RSF each Sublease up to February 2015 (shorter term considered) Stable Sublandlord Mixture of private offices and open space HVAC USER:Eri sent an email to arrange a viewing time for next week. Will post viewing time for anyone to come along.
- 942 Mission - approx 40,000 sqft. Four levels, industrial elevator + standard elevator. Basement was a shop & well ventilated (or could be again if the air filters were removed), first floor dungeon/bar/party/etc area, second floor offices/desks/etc, roof access with hot tub & bar. Has cat6 prewired; fiber termination point from IPNetworks. Some gated parking spaces. A block from Powell Street BART. Former Kink.com HQ's known as the Porn Palace; where the first Arse Electronika was hosted. Has multiple bathrooms, shower, laundry hookups, kitchen, etc. etc. etc.; two private entries hooked into prox card system (security system still in place); plus gates & drop door fences if needed. Neighbourhood sketch, but being gentrified slowly it seems - blue bottle coffee moved in next store bringing quality caffeine supply and the yuppies who buy it. Across the street from the Mezzaine. Many parties events held here for years without noise complaints. Power was sufficient for hundreds of computers, film lighting rigs, professional audio, shop equipment, welders, etc. etc. etc. Amazing space - was sold to property company over a year and a half ago, no one is renting it even now - should find out property management company and inquire about rental prices. They're losing money on their investment as it stands.
- 1385 Mission 3,350 sqft of clean, very bright space on the corner of Mission and 10^th – one and a half blocks from BART. We are asking $12/sqft/year - $3,350/month Details:
- 10th and Harrison - http://www.foundersrealty.com/cgi-local/viewer.cgi?action=display_rentals_detail&id=565
- 174 Shotwell (at 16th). Asking $6500/mo for 4800sf, so a bit out of our price-range, but I suspect that's a starting point for negotiation.
- 3150 18th Street at Treat (Activspace) They seem to focus on smaller spaces, but will apparently knock down walls to make a larger space.
- Erie off of Mission: Light Industrial shop for lease, 831-1600