Intro to Computers
I am teaching a one-time class on introductory computer topics! Ideas include:
- The differences between desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones
- What an operating system is, and the differences between them
- What file types and extensions (.doc, .html) are
- How to manage files and folders
- How to use context (right-click) menus
- What a web browser is
- How to use a search engine
- Making the most of free online services
- Signing up and using social networks
- Tips for staying secure online
- Avoiding scams and malware
- What RAM, disk space, CPU, etc. are
- What to look for when buying a computer
- 1 When is the class?
- 2 Where is the class being taught?
- 3 Should I bring a computer?
- 4 What do I need to know?
- 5 How much does this class cost?
- 6 Why are you teaching this class?
- 7 How can I keep informed about the class?
- 8 I have a friend/relative with no access to computers and/or the Internet.
- 9 Are similar classes being taught elsewhere?
- 10 How can I get more information?
When is the class?
I will be teaching the class on Sunday, August 10 at 3:00 PM. I expect the class will last for up to two hours.
Where is the class being taught?
The gate to the space should be open while the class is in session. If not, you can read up on getting into the space by clicking here.
Should I bring a computer?
It would be ideal if you could bring a laptop with Wi-Fi. Noisebridge doesn't have too many public computers to use. If you do not have a computer to bring, you might want to email the Noisebridge-discuss list asking if anyone has one to borrow, or you can take notes by watching what I do on my projected display.
What do I need to know?
This class is taught in English. You should be able to type (slowly is okay). Otherwise, no prior knowledge of computers or the Internet is necessary.
How much does this class cost?
This class is free, as are all classes taught at Noisebridge. You do not need to register or RSVP - just show up!
If, however, you feel the class was beneficial, we'd really appreciate a donation to Noisebridge to fund our ongoing renovation and lasting presence in the city.
Why are you teaching this class?
I teach another class on Front-end Web Development at Noisebridge, and occasionally, some of the material is too difficult to understand by those who have not spent a lot of time using computers.
How can I keep informed about the class?
If anything changes, you can check this page for any updates. I will also send emails to the Noisebridge-announce mailing list, so you might consider subscribing to it.
I have a friend/relative with no access to computers and/or the Internet.
Please print this page out and give it to them! You should not need to own a computer or Internet connection to understand how to use them.
Are similar classes being taught elsewhere?
How can I get more information?
Please contact me. My information is available by clicking here. You can visit my website with a link to my email address.